Business
Robot illustration
(Getty Images)

Video game experts say Google’s Project Genie isn’t an industry killer. Investors don’t seem convinced.

Analysts and company execs are trying to dispel fears around AI’s impact on gaming, but Wall Street is still wary.

Video game stocks have been getting repeatedly KO’d in recent weeks, following the launch of Google’s new generative-AI tool, Project Genie.

The tool, a “general-purpose world model” available to Google AI Ultra subscribers who pay $125 a month in the US, lets users create interactive, “playable” worlds with just a text or image prompt.

Gaming giants have shed billions of dollars since Project Genie launched on January 29, with companies including Unity Software, Take-Two, and Roblox experiencing sharp sell-offs. The moves appear to be in line with a broader trend Bloomberg’s Matt Levine calls the “AI Whateverpocalypse,” wherein newly announced AI applications trigger steep losses in whatever market they happen to focus on (be it enterprise software, financial data, or trucking). Combined with high memory costs weighing on hardware makers (also due to AI, in a different way), gaming is off to a rough start in 2026.

It’s clear that investors see Google’s world model as a potential silver bullet for the gaming industry, set to dramatically lessen the effort and costs required to make immersive worlds — and sharply increase the supply of interactive games (some of which could rip off popular intellectual property).

“Right now, too many investors treat gaming like a horse track, betting on the next breakout hit title rather than understanding how franchises are patiently built over decades,” said Joost van Dreunen, CEO of analytics firm Aldora and a gaming strategy professor at NYU. “After the postpandemic cooldown and tighter global trade dynamics, capital has crowded into familiar IP and scaled incumbents, so something like Project Genie feels disruptive by default.”

Industry executives, analysts, and employees have worked to dispel that idea and clarify Project Genie’s actual, current capabilities, but the market has proved tough to convince.

Google’s new world AI model tool let me generate a bunch of Nintendo-inspired games. Including one featuring Link with a paraglider! Gift link: www.theverge.com/news/869726/...

[image or embed]

— Jay Peters (@jaypeters.net) Jan 29, 2026 at 12:38 PM

Currently, Project Genie can only generate one-minute-long experiences at 720p resolution and 24 frames per second. mBank analyst Piotr Poniatowski noted that the experiences lack depth, as users can’t perform complex actions fundamental to standard gameplay like crouching, climbing, dodging, or shooting. Poniatowski called Project Genie a “one-minute-long walking simulator generator,” and said the market’s sell-off was unjustified.

Raymond James upgraded “Grand Theft Auto” maker Take-Two in a note last week, with analyst Andrew Marok writing that the current market sentiment is “overdone.” From Marok:

“We understand world models as an additional tool in the content-creation stack, not a substitute for what modern game engines can do — particularly at the AAA scale. That matters for TTWO, where the value is tied less to ‘can you create a game’ and more to ‘can you ship this game to massive audiences,’ which entails cinematic quality, deterministic gameplay, live services, and multiplayer-first monetization...

It seems as if investors have jumped from ‘world models can generate environments’ to ‘therefore engines are obsolete.’ In our
view, that skips the hard part: shipped games are built on the deterministic end of this spectrum for reasons that are structural, not cosmetic.”

Gaming execs have also taken time to address the sell-off, in part by highlighting their own companies’ Genie-like AI efforts. Earlier this month, Roblox appeared to answer Project Genie by launching the open beta of its “4D” AI creation tool. Roblox’s tool can generate interactive objects, like a drivable car with moving wheels.

Unity, which makes the gaming engine used by popular titles like “Hollow Knight” and “Pokémon Go,” said AI-driven authoring is a major focus for the company in 2026. In the company’s earnings call February 11, CEO Matthew Bromberg said Unity will unveil a beta version of its upgraded Unity AI next month, which will “enable developers to prompt full casual games into existence with natural language only.”

“We believe world models are going to be a source of inspiration and assets for creators, but that they’re not in any way going to replace game engines. They are complementary, not duplicative,” Bromberg told investors.

“Capital has crowded into familiar IP and scaled incumbents, so something like Project Genie feels disruptive by default.”

Lost in much of the chatter around AI-generated games is the broader gaming community’s fierce rejection of AI thus far. In December, game publisher Running With Scissors scrapped a planned game over negative reactions to AI-generated graphics in its trailer. In the same month, the Indie Game Awards revoked its Game of the Year award for “Clair Obscur: Expedition 33” after it discovered the developer, Sandfall Interactive, had launched the game with AI-generated textures.

While Project Genie has inspired some experimentation around the limits of its copyright-violating capabilities, it would stand to reason that AI-generated games would need to prove they can overcome the near-certain audience backlash before becoming profitable to a degree that would threaten companies the size of Take-Two or Roblox.

“What the execs may be too polite to say is that it’s naive to assume the current generation of world-building engines poses a real threat to the existing supply side,” van Dreunen said. “Sustainable value in games comes from proprietary engines, live operations, and deeply rooted player communities — systems that take years to mature and can’t be conjured by models generating low-grade worlds without a durable business backbone.”

More Business

See all Business
business

Sony is reportedly considering pushing the PlayStation 6 to 2028 or 2029 as AI RAM demand squeezes consumer electronics

AI’s ongoing need for more memory chips, which some are referring to as “RAMmageddon,” is reportedly shifting Sony’s plans for its next PlayStation console.

According to reporting by Bloomberg, the company is weighing a delay of the PS6 to 2028 or 2029 — a pivot from the company’s typical six- to seven-year console life cycle.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

LA Auto Show

Rivian just had its best day ever on the stock market, after more than 4 years of pain

The EV maker’s software division helped power a strong Q4, as industry giants pump the brakes on their electric ambitions.

business
Tom Jones

Warner Bros. board members reportedly consider reopening deal talks with Paramount

Paramount’s latest amended bid for Warner Bros. Discovery has finally given the board members of the entertainment conglomerate something to seriously think about, after Bloomberg reported over the weekend that WBD is now considering reopening negotiations with Paramount, despite striking an ~$83 billion binding deal with Netflix in early December.

With the market closed yesterday, Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery investors are just now getting the chance to react to the news, with the stocks up around 3% and 1%, respectively, in premarket trading.

Last Tuesday, Paramount announced that it had enhanced its all-cash $30-per-share bid for Warner Bros., adding an offer to cover the $2.8 billion breakup fee the company would incur with Netflix, as well as a $0.25-per-share “ticking fee” for every quarter the deal hasn’t closed after the end of 2026. Despite Paramount (again) not boosting the bid’s headline cash offer, these latest terms, as well as an offer to backstop a Warner Bros. debt refinancing, have apparently proven enough to give at least some board members pause for thought.

Indeed, top brass at the HBO owner are mulling the possibility that Paramount’s boosted offer could lead to a better deal down the line, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the board’s latest thinking. Still, whether that means the WBD board is hoping for a better bid from Paramount themselves — or the streamer they’ve currently got a binding deal with — is another matter entirely.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.